Monday, October 19, 2009

Monstrous Multiplications!!

Suppose you are taken in a room without any calculators, you are given 1 minute...and you are asked to calculate (257368 x 999999), what would you do??? Yeah, I am not joking...Vedic pundits were capable of doing such Monstrous multiplications within moments...right now I can tell the answer is 257367742632(since I know the technique), and once you know it too, you can tell answers of even bigger monsters, like (2418564 x 9999999) without sparing a minute!

The logic is simple, we are yet again about to utter the word "Complements"! If you observe, it is evident that 999999 = 1000000 - 1.

Thus, (257368 x 999999)
= 257368000000 - 257368
= 257367000000 + (100000-257368)
= 257367000000 + (complement of 257368)

since complement of 257368 comes out to be 742632, so, our result becomes 257367742632.

So, when a number is being multiplied by the biggest number of the same digit, to get the answer, first take the complement of the number, now subtract 1 from the number, and write the one-subtracted number and the complement side by side. The resulting number is the answer of the multiplication!

This is just an instance of the lightning-fast speed of calculation at that era. There are still a lot more to come! Vedic pundits referred to some more Sutra-s in this relation, for further ease of multiplications by uncommon numbers. I will discuss each of those Sutra-s with proper examples...

4 comments:

  1. Arkaprava... well these techniques of Vedic Maths are really helpful no doubt. But to promote their use among students, we need to include them in early pre-primary education. Because by the time students get the exposure to such methods (I started learning Vedic maths when i was in class IV), they can't apply it further usually, because of the unfortunate education system, and the fact that the student has used the conventional method right frm childhood. u know that what sticks to the mind in childhood sticks forever, even though u teach one something more convenient and easy.
    But the problem is: we can't teach very small kids such methods to start with, since that wud mean they r not understanding what process is actually going on. they need to understand concepts before knowing shortcuts. what do you have to say about this opinion about mine? i cant really comment on what u r posting in this blog, since I knew this much Vedic maths earlier (i forgot, though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you are absolutly correct, actually here I focussed on the shortcuts assuming whoever visits this blog is a mature person, and he/she will have the minimum knowledge of these concepts...that's why I enlisted the shortcuts here. And I also told previously, it is like a review of the ancient maths culture of india.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truly amazing ........i only wish i am able to grasp as much as i can , about vedic math techniques , from here ....... there's a lot for me to explore out here......btw , me ,a first tym blogger , came across urs thru tanay .....gr8 job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a ton for ur support, nice to meet u. I am also a first tym blogger, not regular, Tanay is my guru/guide in blogging whatever u like to say him. :)

    ReplyDelete